Mississippi Department of Archives and History - Archives and Records Services Division Catalog

 Basic Search
Mississippi Asylum Cemetery Records
 Advanced Search Digital Archives Help 

Search the Mississippi Asylum Cemetery Records
of the Mississippi Dept. of Archives and History

The Mississippi State Lunatic Asylum opened in Jackson on January 8, 1855 at what is now the campus of the University of Mississippi Medical Center. The asylum was renamed the Mississippi State Insane Hospital in 1900 and remained there until the present Mississippi State Hospital was opened in Whitfield on March 4, 1935.

MDAH volunteer Nan Harvey researched and transcribed information from Mississippi death certificates to compile a database of approximately 4,380 Insane Hospital patients that died between November 1912 and March 9, 1935 and were buried on the Hospital grounds. The database includes the death certificate number, date of death, patient's name, sex, race, age at death, length of stay at the hospital, county of residence and cause of death. This database not only includes patient deaths but also infants that may have been born and died there while the mother was a patient.

The records are searchable by name of deceased and name of county. Please be aware that due to handwriting, spelling variations, and legibility issues, accuracy of the transcribed information cannot be guaranteed.

Search by:  Search phrase:

Sort by: